Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Edward Weston

Edward Weston was briefly mentioned in the textbook on page 15.  I took a “History of Photography” class here at ICC and we discussed Weston a great deal.  I think he was strange and at least to me, not the greatest photographer.  The majority of his photographs are either of fruit or nude women.  I don’t think these two have anything to do with one another but it seems that he tried to relate them.  The picture titled “Two Shells” is shown on page 16.
 The text says that this picture evokes the ideas of a magnolia blossom and a female.  I don’t see either one.  All I see is a shell that is propped up and he took a picture of it. 

A lot of his other photographs just look like he found the weirdest shaped fruit he could and took a close up picture of it.  Or he would cut open and artichoke and photograph it.   
There are a few pictures of landscapes that I actually like and can actually admire his work.
I think Edward Weston would have been a much more recognized photographer if he would have taken more pictures of landscapes and less pictures of strangely shaped fruit. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that some of his pictures are strange, but they are kind of interesting to look at. Even if it is a strangely shaped vegetable it is still very unique looking. His landscape pictures are more pleasing to the eye, but personally I'd have to say that I would rather look at landscapes than vegetables anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this first picture of his of the shell. It's really simple and beautiful without it trying to symbolize anything. I definitely don't see the woman it it either. But it doesn't need an explanation to be art, art is all around us in nature. I think a simple shell, even just in black and white like this one, is pleasing to the eye and is worth taking a picture of. I commend him for finding beauty in the simple things, but he doesn't need to add a symbol or explanation to it. It just is.

    ReplyDelete